Saturday, November 10, 2007

Construction Updates and News on a Visitor to the Neighborhood



After drilling all the geothermal wells, construction workers are now digging huge trenches and laying in some kind of flexible dark-colored pipe. Maybe they're connecting the wells and running them to the powerplant in the house. New shipments of roof tile and bricks were received this week. I'm uploading two photos -- one of the new materials, and one of the construction workers "in the trenches." It's funny how we focus on the mud and mess, and forget sometimes to just stare at the structures and enjoy their serenity.
As I approached the northeast corner of Jewett Parkway and Summit Avenue this morning, coming from the Park, I noticed the bird feeder just inside the bushes at the corner was swarming with sparrows. All of a sudden, from behind me over my right shoulder, a peregrine falcon swooped down and dive-bombed the bird feeder. The entire corner exploded with seemingly hundreds of sparrows flying away in fright. I couldn't believe how that bird buzzed that feeder. The falcon failed to grab any of the smaller birds, and went on to land high atop a tree just to the east. There he sat, eyeing that feeder. I've seen red-tail hawks in the Park, but never saw a falcon swooping like that in our neighborhood before. Keep an eye out for it -- it's gorgeous!

No comments: